DET TESTING REQUIREMENTS
The DET (diesel emissions testing) systemOHMs Hygiene uses is a simple low cost screening system that comprises the measurement of elemental carbon (EC) and gases in the raw exhaust of diesel engines operating in the underground mining industry. OHMS Hygiene uses the MAHA and the TESTO both of which are designed for fast and simple operation.
Legislation generally requires undiluted diesel engine exhaust is tested in underground mines. As a minimum this shall be at intervals of no more than 250 hours, or 1 month if no hour meter is present. If the diesel unit falls outside the prescribed limits then the diesel unit may not return to service.
KEY BENEFITS OF THE OHMS HYGIENE DET SYSTEM
- The key benefits over other diesel exhaust sampling systems are that the DET system measurements cover all exhaust components, are quick and are conducted on undiluted exhaust.
- The DET system comprises two units that measure EC and the gases carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, nitric oxide and oxygen.
- Samples are collected directly from the manifold or tail-pipe and do not need diluting.
- Measurements are collected in real-time and results available within minutes up to 420 mg/m3 EC..
- EC measurements are calibrated against NIOSH 5040.
- This DET system not only provides compliance monitoring, under Regulations, but can also be used to assist in programmed maintenance .
- When used before the manifold this DET system can assist in identifying where maintenance issues or faults occur.
PEOPLE, PROCESS, SAFETY
OHMS Hygiene is a consultancy service that aims to assist our clients in achieving industry best practice to advance their safety culture. OHMS Hygiene replaces good luck with great science and provides stakeholders with best practice tools and metrics to improve the health and welfare of workers, visitors and the community. Our team understands your business and that consultation and communication with all stakeholders is key to achieving your health and safety goals.