Leon is a highly experienced HSEC manager and environmental professional, with 25 years’ experience in the investigation, assessment and management of HSEC issues within mining and industrial sectors. Leon is a values based, people focused and results driven leader with extensive experience in leading changes in safety, health, environment, quality and community related functions in large mining and mining services organisations.
He has been responsible for the provision of a wide range of environmental and sustainability advice including water management, compliance reporting, land rehabilitation, closure, contaminated sites, tailings management etc..
- Leon has worked in HSEC for over twenty years in a multitude of roles; with managerial environmental and HSEC to Head of Region for HSE.
- He has worked in Australia, Indonesia, Africa and Europe with companies including Rio Tinto, Billiton, Pasminco, Newmont and most recently, Orica.
- B.Sc. Multidisciplinary Sciences
- Compliance reporting, land rehabilitation, closure, water management, contaminated sites, tailings management etc.
- HSEC hazard identification and risk assessments
- Project and stakeholder management
- HSEC strategic planning, implementation and governance
- ISO14001/ISO9001/AS4801 system build, maintenance and governance
- Managing large teams of HSEC professionals in complex, multi-site environments
- Negotiating complex HSEC outcomes with regulators
- Fatality risk programme development & implementation
- Behavioural based safety programme implementation
- Indigenous Land Use Agreements (ILUAs)
- Indigenous employment strategies
- HSEC organisational redesign and restructure
- Safety Institute of Australia (WA Branch)
- NT Chamber of Minerals (committee member) 2011-2015
- WA Chamber of Minerals and Energy (committee member) 2006-2011