Melissa has over 16 years of experience in the field of occupational hygiene, working predominantly in mining, but also oil & gas and industry.
Melissa Milo has a postgraduate qualification in industrial hygiene and has worked at Alcoa Alumina of Australia’s Wagerup and Kwinana refineries, BHP Billiton’s Leinster Nickel Operations, and been employed by Rio Tinto Iron Ore as the occupational hygienist for Greater Paraburdoo and Marandoo Operations. She has also worked in health and safety consultant capacity in the UK for a range of companies and in hygiene consultancy in WA.
Melissa is experienced in baseline health and hygiene surveys, qualitative and quantitative risk assessments, noise surveys and noise dosimetry, lighting surveys, ventilation assessments, water quality and Legionella risk assessments, thermal stress, chemical handling and storage risk assessments and audits, statistical assessment, review and interpretation of data, incident investigations, PPE management programmes and fit-testing, training and presentations and occupational health and safety management systems.
Melissa has over 14 years of experience predominantly in the mining and construction industries, but also oil & gas, other private sectors and government agencies.
Melissa has a comprehensive understanding of the Western Australian regulatory framework.
Melissa is well versed with environmental and occupational hygiene regulatory requirements and best practice. Melissa’s key expertise is in environmental investigations, preparation and implementation of asbestos management plans (asbestos contaminated soils), air quality assessments, water quality and soil investigations; statistical assessment, review and interpretation of data, community health impact assessments; regulatory and management system compliance audits and development and implementation of HSE management systems.
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science and Conservation Biology in 2001
- Post Graduate Certificate in Industrial Hygiene Science in 2007
- CONTAM Registered
- Surface Ventilation Officer (WA)
- Currently completing a Masters in Occupational Hygiene and Toxicology through Edith Cowin University, WA
- Project Management
- Environmental investigations
- Soil investigations
- Water quality and Legionella risk assessments
- Environmental documentation and reporting
- Environmental data management and statistics
- Incident investigations & reporting
- Development and delivery of training programmes, facilitation of workshops
- HSE hazard identification: qualitative and quantitative risk assessments
- Member of the AIOH (Australian Institute of Occupational Hygiene